Susan Van Dyke, Calibrate Legal’s Chief Client Officer, has been immersed in the field of legal marketing and communications for more than 20 years. She began her career in-house before launching a successful law firm consulting practice that grew to include a marketing agency. Susan and her team earned the loyalty of clients for 14 rewarding years, before she accepted a position with a law firm client as their Chief Operating Officer (COO). During this time, among many projects, she oversaw the firm’s rebrand, restructured the firm’s marketing department and implemented a robust business development program.
Susan has worked on some of the most demanding large-scale projects of the profession. She has advised on and implemented international merger communications, conducted marketing audits, built and enhanced small and massive websites, spearheaded full-scale corporate identity reviews and beyond. The trust and credibility she has earned from law firm leaders throughout her career has enabled her to skillfully navigate the ever-evolving landscape of challenges and opportunities.
Susan’s aggregate of experience informs her role as an executive search consultant, where she focuses on identifying and placing senior-level marketing and business development professionals within law firms. She has a vast network of talented marketing, business development and communications connections and identifies candidates who meet specific skills requirements, but can also integrate into, and contribute to firm culture as well. At the foundation of her placement work is a deep advocacy of marketing and business development professionals and supporting their conclusive contributions to the success of their firms.
Over the course of her career, Susan:
- Successfully lobbied the Law Society of British Columbia with a colleague to amend the marketing rules that govern members
- Founded the Vancouver Legal Marketing Roundtable Group, which essentially developed into the first international chapter of the Legal Marketing Association (LMA)
- Served two terms as the LMA International Chapter President (2008 and 2009)
- Was one of few Canadians elected to the international LMA Board of Directors (2010)
- Wrote a regular column for the Canadian Bar Association’s online resource, PracticeLink, and the award- winning blog, Slaw.ca
She earned her Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA), from Thompson Rivers University and her Marketing Management Diploma from the British Columbia Institute of Technology (BCIT).
Susan lives with her family in Vancouver, Canada where she takes an unwelcomed interest in her teenaged boys’ lives. When Susan isn’t swimming, camping or gardening, she’s working with her beloved dog at her feet.